Bridges can replace a single missing tooth or a section of missing teeth. To replace a missing tooth or teeth with a bridge the dentist prepares the teeth that are on either side of the missing tooth.
This procedure is very similar to crowns except with bridge preparation, the dentist works on two teeth rather than one.
How Do I Know If I Need A Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge may be recommended for:
- Replacing one or more missing teeth
- Restoring the proper bite relationship between your upper and lower jaw
- Improving appearance and speech
- Preventing adjacent teeth from moving into the space left by the missing tooth or teeth.
Bridges are often made of zirconia (artificial diamond), porcelain, metal alloy or both porcelain and metal alloy fused together. Porcelain is a strong material designed to match your natural tooth. The choice of bridge material depends on which teeth are being replaced. The dentist will discuss this with you, prior to starting your treatment.
An example of a bridge: A laboratory-made bridge for one missing tooth usually consists of a crown-pontic-crown. Pontic refers to the missing tooth. The pontic is made to look and function like a normal tooth. On either side of the pontic are the attached crowns. The crowns sit over the two teeth on either side of the missing tooth and anchor the bridge in place.
1st Appointment – Bridge Preparation
- The dentist will choose the colour of your bridge, using a shade guide, to match your existing teeth.
- The two teeth beside the missing tooth or teeth are prepared for the bridge.
- Impressions are taken – to record the new changes made to the teeth.
- The prepared teeth are then covered with temporary crowns. The temporary crowns are not as strong as your natural teeth. Sticky or chewy food items will need to be avoided during this time. (Once the bridge has arrived back to our clinic we will call you to make an appointment to have it fitted)
- The Impression is sent to a dental laboratory where the bridge is made. This process can take 2-3 weeks.
2nd Appointment – Cementation
- The temporary crowns are removed and the new bridge is placed over the prepared teeth.
- The dentist will check the fit and shade of the bridge.
- The bridge is bonded to the prepared teeth with dental cement.
If you are unsure if this treatment is suited for you, please call us on (07) 4953 1577 to make an appointment to discuss your options. This will allow you to discuss your concerns and expectations of this treatment. Depending on your individual needs, our dentist will then recommend the ideal treatment to suit you.